Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me!

Elders, why are you running so fast this morning on your way to interviews? Elder Flory and Nestvogel are in a hurry to get to the Vitoria chapel. There must be something exciting happening this morning on March 24th!
Yes, it is Birthday time and who's birthday is it? Hna Bell, who is not in the picture, made this delicious apple cake. Well the word was out, it was Hna Clegg's Birthday. El Presidente e-mailed all the missionaries about my birthday and bright and early the phone calls were coming in. I was sung "Happy Birthday almost as many times as my age! It was fun.
We walked into a surprise in Logrono. They had made these cut outs for a ward party and then used them again for my surprise. Cleaver missionaries! Elder Crocker even shared some of his special brownie from home. Thanks Hna Crocker, it was delicious!
We had lunch in Burgos and then out came Elders Esteves-Garcia and Sayaz with a Hello Kitty cake. It was great!
In Leon that night they thought maybe we would be tired of treats so they all wrote me a letter. That was very special! Thanks Elders!
The next day seemed more like business as usual. We spent the night in Benavente and then went to Ponferrada. These are two nostalgic ayudantes. They both served in Ponferrada and missed their room with a view!
Elder Dredge and Woods loved their time in Ponferrada. They saw the beginnings of a great awakening in this city. The branch is growing so fast here and these two Elders had a lot to do with that!
They did sing me Happy Birthday, but Elder Gerber wanted to do an old fashion stick pull with his trainer, (father) Elder Dredge. Who won? I better not say, we don't want to hurt someone's pride!
Lunch was in Ourense where Elder Renshaw made stuffed peppers. Wow, they were great. Quite a sight.
Elder Oscanoa is impressed! But then he realized that Elder Dredge got the biggest one. Elder Dredge is proud of himself.
Elder Renshaw doesn't want us messing with his food! It was deliciosa!
In Vigo Elder Nelson was excited about getting banana nut bread! But he knows that they have a surprise for me.
Peach pie and cookies were the food from Vigo. Hna Huntsman, what are you doing? Hna Fitches doesn't know anything about it.
Pontevedra made a cake full of candles. Elders Frank and Aston, you shouldn't have. It was great. These Elders are great cooks. They made me work to blow out all the candles. I didn't do a very good job.
They also made me a card. Such goooood Elders!
The next morning was on to Santiago where I had a long awaited order for Elder Moya. He has vision problems and wanted the new Spanish Bible in the Large print. It finally came and we were both very excited.
Elder Nye and Moya are striking a pose. They are doing great in Santiago.
We walk into the A Coruna chapel and to our surprise, balloons and two pies. Thet were so good. If you really want to know my age, you can count the candles. I think they had enough for this old lady! It was hard and took me a few times.
The Hermanas made the pies. Elder Sanchez is excited to get a taste. Hna Sieverts, Calderon and Moraza did a great surprise on the 3rd day of birthday celebrations.
Aviles was all decked out with balloons and signs. They made a brownie cake to eat.
I guess they thought I needed help to blow out these candles. Elders Southwick and Jackson, where were you when I needed you in A Coruna?
The 4th day we were in Gijon. The Ayudantes told the Gijon Elders and Traveling Trainers that I had had enough treats. Boy, my ayudantes don't know that there are never too many treats! But I will forgive them and really, so will my waistline after this interview swing.
We had a few interviews left the next week. And what wouldn't be more appropriate than to leave you with a picture of Elders Webb and Zamora in San Sebastian. Elder Webb is always coming up with crazy ideas. As we entered the piso we blasted off into space. They are wearing the helmets. He has a light shining on his face. Believe me, you had to be there to appreciate the creativity. I don't know how Elder Webb gets everyone to carry out his ideas, but we love him. One thing about Elder Webb is that he knows when to be serious so when he is funny, we can always enjoy it. Thanks to all our wonderful missionaries for making my 1st Birthday in the mission field a real treat. Days and days of treats! I received so many sweet phone calls and notes. Almost everyone remembered. I won't mention those who forgot, I still love them too. My family was great and we heard from all of them and the Grandkids. Another year has come and gone, I look forward to another great year. Life is super! Feliz Cumpleanos a mi!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday! Looks like you had an over the top celebration for Many days!!!! All the best for a great year to come! Thanks for all you do for so many.
    Love You,
    Laurie Moore

    ReplyDelete
  2. ¡¡¡¡Feliz cumpleaƱos hna.Clegg!!!!! soy Marianna (vigo) me encanta leer su blog!!! gracias por su ejemplo, le quiero mucho!

    ReplyDelete